RE: fdisk partition table keeps missing.

WANG,YIDING (yiding_wang@am.exch.hp.com)
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:47:51 -0600

Alan,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think the driver writes and read from HD OK but somewhere things is messed
up, either because my fdisk, mkfs process is wrong or something wrong in my
driver.

Here is what happened:

1, Using 'fdisk /dev/sda' with 'n' option for create partition and
'p' option for primary partition to get partition 1 (cylinder 3 - 4003)
and 2 (cylinder 4004 - 8683). This is not boot drive. My boot drive is
IDE.
2, With 'w' option to write on HD and exit.
From analyzer, it shows command are executed correct and data has been
written to HD and read capacity also gets correct data back.
3, Exit from 'fdisk' and reenter again, partition table is there.
4, With single raw IO test on new created partition /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2,

test running OK. From analyzer and disk activity LED shows the disk read

and write performed normally on the disk.
5, Run 'fdisk' again and found the partition table is gone.
6, Re run raw IO test, it still works fine.
7, Re-create two partitions with same parameters.
8, Run 'mkfs /dev/sda1' to created ext2 file system OK.
9, Run 'mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /hd0' to mount the file system on /hd0 OK.
10, /hd0 is accessible, copied some files in looks OK.
11, Run 'fdisk /dev/sda' still don't see partition table.
12, Run some file system IO test messed up the file system.

My feeling is something wrong during the system writing operation but don't
know for sure. Also don't know why first time after created partition table
and reboot system, the partition table is gone.

Any advice here?

Appreciate your time and help very much!

-eddie