Re: Wireless ethernet?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to have a laptop computer with
> some form of 10Mbit ethernet connection or faster that is
> wireless and free of any form of line of sight connection as
> well.

some Direct sequence 802.11 wireless devices claim to delive up to 11Mb/s
in my experience sustained through put is more like 1.6Mb/s since you
generally have to drop the 2Mb/s unless you share a room with the wireless
bridge...

check out:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

> Example: A person has a home LAN, and a laptop. They would like
> to wander around the house with the LAPTOP, and possibly outside,
> but not far. However, they'd like the LAPTOP to be connected to
> the LAN all the time without wires and without line of sight with
> infrared or whatnot.
>
> Is this possible? If so, does Linux support it? Where can I get
> the info?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> TTYL
>

> --
> Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
> Computer Consultant Open Source advocate
>
> Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E