Re: __init & __exit

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:33:07 -0400

"Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI" <VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz> said:
> On 10 Aug 99 at 11:36, Horst von Brand wrote:

[...]

> > The foo-{init,proper} would work without any changes AFAIKS if foo-init
> > depended on foo-proper (sure will, as it meddles with its symbols :); then
> > when you load foo-init, foo-proper gets loaded automatically, foo-init does
> > its work and unloads (or marks itself unused, and gets reaped by the
> > standard procedure).

> If we can split it in the way that there is no call from foo-proper to
> anything-init, then yes.

Can't be, it wouldn't be all of anything-init if there are calls back into
it.

> But it does not solve problem where you'll find
> init section if (hotplug) driver is compiled into kernel.

For hotplugs you'd just call (and load) foo-init again, if it's a module.
It can be a module even though foo-driver is part of the kernel, why not?
It's just that I don't see this as very relevant. My kernels weigh in at
something like 1Mb uncompressed, and unload just 36K of init stuff, i.e.,
some 3-4%. If you invest a few pages in the kernel to manage all this, you
loose overall.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl