RE: slowdown on primary network interface on news server... (2.2

Chuck Hemker (n2por@amsat.org)
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 02:25:21 -0400 (EDT)

On 06-Aug-99 Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> I've got a news server that has recently become multi-homed. until now it
> has behaved flawlessly for a few months, however now the interface that
> has the default route slows to a crawl after running for a few hours, the
> second interface is unaffected. no kernel messages accompany this behavior
> however downing the interface and bring it back up again fix the problem.
> generally it takes 8-11 hours for this issue to manifest itself.

I've seen something similar with my setup.

eth0: 3c509? private network 192.168.x.x
eth1: 3c509-TPO Connected to cable modem (Road Runner)

No routing, forwarding, or address translation between networks.

May be related: I noticed that about the time I start having these problems, I
seem to get fifo errors on the interface. Looking at /proc/net/dev (reformated
so it doesn't have to wrap in the mail):

Inter-| Receive |
face |bytes packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|
lo:82511981 421410 0 0 0 0 0 0
eth0:14333318 109942 0 0 0 0 0 0
eth1:526333628 534627 101 0 103 101 0 0

Inter-|Transmit
face |bytes packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
lo:82511981 421410 0 0 0 0 0 0
eth0:12342428 88136 0 0 0 3 0 0
eth1:27267828 300709 0 0 0 2402 0 0

I also noticed that the ping times (for me) seem to be a multiple of 1000 + a
small number of milliseconds.

Looking through dev_do_watchdog (in linux/net/sched/sch_generic.c) I noticed
that the watchdog expires in 5*HZ. If for some reason either the card stopped
interrupting, or the driver got confused, could you have something like this? :

software sends ping
500 ms later watchdog sends packet
500 ms later watchdog receives reply
ping responds with 1000+ time.

If this is the case, does anyone know if there is a way for the busy flags to
get out of sync, or a way to reset the card without downing & uping the
interface to debug this? Or any other ideas (or other possible problems?)

Thanks for any help you can give me.