Re: ANNOUNCE: dgipip - dynamic IPIP gateway client/server for Linux

Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.CX)
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 22:33:25 +0100 (GMT)

Hi Terry.

I see from your second message that you accidentally posted this to
the wrong mailing list, but it hasn't appeared in linux-hams yet, so
I've responded to the one that has appeared and forwarded my reply to
both lists. Future comments only expected in linux-hams though...

> As a result of some discussion on the convers network about the
> plight of people wanting to operate IPIP encapsulating gateways,
> but having only a dynamic assigned IP network connection, and of
> hearing that the DOS based MFNOS had provided a solution to this
> problem, I've implemented a compatible scheme for Linux.

> The client works, of that I'm sure, and as that is what most
> people will want to use, I've released the package for
> use/testing.

> The server *might* work for 2.0.* machines. I didn't have a
> 2.0.* kernel handy to test it with so I don't know. It doesn't
> appear to work for kernel 2.2.* (the means of creating IPIP
> encap routes changed as many of you will be aware).

I have both available on different systems on my network, so will
check this out for you.

> In any case, it's version 0.1 so I won't be offended if you
> report bugs :)

8-)

> Debian users can find the software pre-packaged in the potato
> distribution at your nearest Debian mirror site. It will work
> quite happily with slink too, so just grab it from there if you
> run either.

> It's simple enough that it will probably alien-convert to rpm ok
> if you want to try it that way.

My systems are all RedHat, a mixture of 5.2 and 6.0 raw installs, so
I'll have a play with it on them and report.

> Everybody else can find the source tar file at:

> ftp://tao.linux.org.au/pub/radio/dgipip/
> ftp://guglielmo.vk2ktj.ampr.org/pub/radio/dgipip/

I've set up a mirror for you, so you can add the following:

ftp://ftp.memalpha.cx/mirrors/HamRadio/Linux/dgipip/

Despite the Christmas Island domain, that's half the way round the
world from you...

> It will compile against glibc2.x, it might work with older libc
> with a little tweaking.

> It's fairly ugly, it was a rushed job (I still don't have enough
> time!) but you can improve it if you want.

Fairy Nuff.

> It's covered by the GPL of course.

That's the important detail.

Best wishes from Riley.