Re: Kernel Panic: scsi_free:Trying to free unused memory

Marcus Thiessel (thiessel@gmx.net)
08 Aug 1999 22:42:29 +0200

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> > I am getting similar error but "In swapper task - not syncing"!
>
> What matters are the liens before it.

Which are the same as in the initial post.

> It could well be, although almost all the scsi layer fixes are SMP specific.
> The other one to watch is that the AHA1542 card doing bus mastering ISA
> DMA is capable of holding off memory refresh on older machines. This is why
> there is an option in the jumpers/bios to set the DMA rate. Drop that to the
> lowest (5Mbytes/sec) and retry

The thing that makes me curious is that the RH 5.1 default didn't
showed the specific behaviour (identical hardware setup). This
happened with the install of RH 6.0 (from scratch). With regards to
holding off memory refresh the is a test routine in AHA1542 bios and
my current setting (6mb/s) passed that test.

--Marcus