Re: ide-scsi emulation question

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 16:39:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Jeremy Katz wrote:

>> This, I think, would tend to hide all IDE devices behind
>> the ide-scsi module. I guess I didn't really state my
>> intentions - I'm trying to get the ZIP drive to work
>> reliably; I wasn't really trying to muck with the hard
>> drive and CD-ROM, since they're both working well. Would
>> there be any benefits/drawbacks to doing it this way?
>
>AFAIK, you can't get just the ZIP drive working with IDE-SCSI. I know
>that with CDROM drives, if you compile in IDE CD support, it gets used
>instead of the IDE-SCSI. So, you leave out IDE CD support, include
>IDE-SCSI, and include SCSI CD. In this case, you'd have to leave out IDE
>disk support, which means that your hard drive would be using IDE SCSI
>(which I don't think will work as hard drives aren't ATAPI). Just include
>the IDE Floppy support to get your IDE zip working :)

That is completely false.

I have a 2.2 kernel set up, with IDE support built in, and
ide-scsi and ide-cd as modules.

My IDE hard disks use the IDE driver built in, my ATAPI CD writer
gets the ide-scsi module, and my ATAPI CDROM gets the ide-cd
module. All of them function properly as well.

You need to add "hdc=ide-scsi" "hdd=ide-cd" to your lilo config
so the kernel knows which driver to associate with which drive.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...