Re: no driver change for 2.4?

Christer Weinigel (wingel@cendio.se)
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 20:06:46 +0200

Riley Williams wrote:
>I can't speak for the Netherlands as I don't know what goes on there,
>but here in the UK, it is the hardware alone that is certified, and
>if the hardware has certification, then any software can be used with
>it.

There are a few different certifications one has to get.

Layer 1 - that the equipment uses the correct voltages and waveforms

Layer 2 - the HDLC/LAPB framing and encapsulation

Lauer 3 - the D-channel protocols used to communicate with the
exchange, with data packets saying things such as SETUP
(place a call), or RELEASE (hang up)

Active cards implement everything from Layer 1 to Layer 3, and have an
onboard CPU with its own firmware. These cards can get a complete
certification since the whole ISDN stack is implemented in them.

Passive cards (i.e. hisax cards) only implement Layer 1 and part of
Layer 2 in hardware, the rest is implemented in software. Here it is
a hardware/software combination that is certified and if the software
changes the Layer 2 + 3 certifications must be redone (in theory at
least, it is somewhat up to the judgement of the manufacturer, minor
changes are allowed).

What this means for the isdn4linux source is that the hisax driver
(Layer 2 and Layer 3, equivalent to the firmware in an active card)
can not be changed and still keep its certification. The upper layer
above this can be changed any way you want.

/Christer

--
Christer Weinigel		Cendio Systems AB
Email:	wingel@cendio.se	Teknikringen 8