Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:24:41 +0200

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 09:29:45PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Marc Mutz wrote:
> > No. IP masq. changes IP _headers_; he was talking of data.
>
> IP masq changes the data too for specific apps. Simply rewriting the
> headers is not enough for applications which pass addresses & port
> numbers in their protocol.

I guess the important difference is that IP masquerading only substitutes
bytes; it neither inserts nor deletes bytes. Not to mention that you
can't mmap() a network stream. It's not a good comparison to CRLF
conversion. My vote is to kill that feature in 2.3 and retroactively
add a warning to 2.2.11.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of