Re: NexGen Nx586: documentation error?

Ian Soboroff (ian@cs.umbc.edu)
15 Jul 1999 12:31:02 -0400

sinster@balltech.net writes:

> Sprach Ian Soboroff <ian@cs.umbc.edu>:
> > In Documentation/Configure.help, the help for Proceesor family
> > recommends selecting '486' for a NexGen Nx586. I have one of these
> > beasts, and choosing this fails to boot because the Nx586 apparently
> > does not honor the WP bit. I could only manage to boot a kernel
> > compiled for 386 and including FP emulation.
>
> Last time I booted my NexGen 586 it was linux 1.<something late>. But back
> then I was able to work just fine in 486 mode. You definately have to
> keep the FP emulation enabled unless you bought a NexGen 587. Make sure
> you have all the BIOS updates installed... some of them include some
> patches to the NexGen 586 microcode and/or configuration settings that
> would effect you.

i have upgraded the BIOS using their 'update kit'. i'm fairly
certain that the 486-compile model + FPU emulation still did not boot
on the Nx586. IIRC this is due to the WP bit not being honored. this
is perhaps a post-1.x change to the 486 option.

if i get the time i'll try again, but i'm pretty sure i checked this
before writing up the patch.
ian

--
----