Re: Large disk partition over 300GB

merblich (merblich@gateway.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:16:18 -0700

To shed some light on this.

Normally, a file system will allocate disk blocks based on a time
vs space algorithm. By having blocks free in a number of locations,
the best location to allocate the disk block due to the growing
of fragments or just a new block can be realized. A couple of factors
in determining this is interleave, rotation speed, time to seek, etc.

Once the file system's free space decreases to a specified point, the
allocation then just allocates blocks due to their availability. My
guess, is that 5% is the point where this tradeoff is made.

Mitch
========