Re: Promise RAID (was Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4141)

cd_smith@ou.edu
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:29:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Most RAID controllers work like a standard IDE or SCSI unit in normal
> operation, but they generally have a proprietary management interface
> (including the Storageworks range). Without this its between difficult and
> impossible to configure the RAID set, or to manage recovery after a drive
> swap, and you don't get effective reporting of a drive failure.

Oops, you're right. I forgot all about StorageWorks' configuration stuff
-- mostly because it sucks so badly that I have taken to configuring them
via a terminal emulator and a COM port and not even installing the config
stuff. :) But I understand the purpose of these drivers now.

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>