Re: New kernel/resource.c

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 17:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

how much overlap is there between resources available to PCMCIA and ones
available to PCI? IIRC the IRQ's will not be an issue, but what about io
addresses and memory mapped space?

David Lang

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Subject: Re: New kernel/resource.c
>

> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Hinds wrote:
> >
> > Thinking about it some more, the only way I see to handle all the
> > problem cases I can think of, is to have two separate resource trees
> > for each type of resource, one for driver ownership, and one for
> > hardware routing, rather than one unified tree. So we'd have two
> > trees like:
>
> I don't see the point.
>
> A PCMCIA card has to allocate its resources from within the PCMCIA region.
> So it makes tons of sense to just say so. So a PCMCIA driver would do
>
> request_resource(&pcmcia_io_resource, &my_io_resource);
>
> while a "direct" PCI driver would use
>
> request_resource(&pci_io_resource, &my_io_resource);
>
> and I definitely don't at all understand why you'd want to have two tables
> that show the same thing..
>
> Linus
>

> -

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)