Re: Promise RAID (was Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4141)

Steve Underwood (steveu@netpage.com.hk)
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:34:45 +0000

Hi,

cd_smith@ou.edu wrote:

> J. Reeves Hall wrote:
> > Is there any support for the Promise FastTrak IDE RAID controller, or do
> > we have to wait on Promise to release their (most likely binary-only)
> > drivers? Has anyone been able to determine anything about this board?
> >
> > - -Reeves Hall
>
> Admittedly, I have experience with only one RAID controller - Digital's
> StorageWorks... but I was under the impression that RAID controllers don't
> typically require drivers besides ordinary SCSI or IDE support by the
> kernel. Is this something unique to StorageWorks? Someone please clue me
> in. It seems really dumb for a RAID controller to depend on some
> proprietary interface when normal SCSI or IDE will do just fine.
>
> Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>

Most RAID controllers work like a standard IDE or SCSI unit in normal
operation, but they generally have a proprietary management interface
(including the Storageworks range). Without this its between difficult and
impossible to configure the RAID set, or to manage recovery after a drive
swap, and you don't get effective reporting of a drive failure.

Steve