Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:51:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> > >It's already controlled by a mount option. If you don't want it, turn it
> > >off.
> >
> > That is not the point. It is kernel bloat because it is
> > something that can be done in userland, and quite well in fact.
>
> All of my editors will magically know that files in one part of the
> filesystem tree are CRLF files and in another part are not?

Huh? You *do* realize that mmap() is there, but gives values different
from read(), right? Better yet, if the sector size is not 512 it returns
completely bogus data - you are getting duplication near the page
boundaries.

> > I'd like to see it go for all filesystems. Userland tools can
> > deal with it. The mount option does not remove the bloat from
> > the kernel.

s/bloat/breakage/

> If you didn't want DOS filesystem semantics, why'd you compile it in in
> the first place? Configure it out, or don't load the module.

Because you may need the *data* on said filesystem.