Re: New kernel/resource.c

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:38:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, David Hinds wrote:

> Thinking about it some more, the only way I see to handle all the
> problem cases I can think of, is to have two separate resource trees
> for each type of resource, one for driver ownership, and one for
> hardware routing, rather than one unified tree. So we'd have two
> trees like:

I don't see the point.

A PCMCIA card has to allocate its resources from within the PCMCIA region.
So it makes tons of sense to just say so. So a PCMCIA driver would do

request_resource(&pcmcia_io_resource, &my_io_resource);

while a "direct" PCI driver would use

request_resource(&pci_io_resource, &my_io_resource);

and I definitely don't at all understand why you'd want to have two tables
that show the same thing..

Linus