Re: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:03:42 +0000 ( )

On 14 Jul 1999, david parsons wrote:

> >> Taking it out may kill backwards compatability.
> >
> >Noone cares.
>
> Noone _on the linux kernel mailing list_ cares, you mean.
>
> And guess what? That's not true; two people have already popped
> up and complained about it.
>
> Sure, you can do things the MS-Windows way and arbitrarily break
> compatability from one version of Linux to the next (certainly this
> would be nothing new -- software engineering died of a buzzword
> overdose early in the 1990s -- but it would be nice to be able to
> recommend Linux in terms more glowing than "well, it's Unix, I
> guess.")
>
> So CR/LF is a horrible hack that should never have been done in
> the first place. Good, it's a better lesson to kernel developers
> that when you design a published interface you need to do it well
> or else it will haunt you forever.
>
> ____
> david parsons \bi/ And if I have to spend 3 months revalidating a system
> \/ every six months, the mythical TCO is gonna start
> looking really crappy.

That's fine but it's completly broken right now and if I'm reading
correctly no one seems to know how to fix it with the new buffer changes.

I need vfat more than I need a magical conversion system that doesn't
work when I need it most anyhow.

You shouldn't need to change anything else on your system even with this
thing's removal since there are many cases where you can get dos text
files that aren't on a dos/windows fs.

I can't upgrade untill I can mount dos filesystems. Perhapse you
would like to take a stab at it since your most vocal about the need to
keep the bloat?

Gerhard

PS I won't care if the conversion disapears I _WILL_ care if this stuff is
still broken come 2.4.0.

--
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.