Re: Corruption bug in CPU, kernel or tar

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?= (pinard@iro.umontreal.ca)
14 Jul 1999 01:52:58 -0400

Nate Eldredge <nate@cartsys.com> writes:

> I'm chasing a bug which I found while doing a stress-test with `(tar x; tar
> d) &' times seventeen. It involves occasional corruption of an extracted
> file (every few days). [...] Is there anything in tar or the kernel
> that handles 32-byte chunks and might be able to cause such corruption?
> Alternatively, has anyone heard of similar problems with the K6-3?

I'm not at all claiming that `tar' is innocent, but from your description,
I do not remember another user report, or a known bug, that would explain
the above behaviour. Of course, if you get some information that allows
to strongly suspect `tar', we should surely investigate. Keep happy!