Re: ReiserFS in Standard Kernel?

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:43:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> It appears the current ReiserFS code over at http://devlinux.com/namesys/ has
> reached the point of stability and I was curious if there were any plans to
> integrate it into the standard kernel.

Count this as a request to see reiserfs in the 2.3 series too. But...

> ReiserFS seems like the perfect filesystem to store news and squid caches as
> they all contain large numbers of small files which get deleted often.

Anyone running a reasonably high-traffic news server these days threw out
the one-file-per-article storage method a long time ago. It just doesn't
scale to 30-40G per day.

And hobby/low-traffic servers just don't need the extra performance;
traditional, tried-and-true filesystems work fine for them.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]