Re: Large disk partition over 300GB

Thierry Vignaud (tvignaud@mandrakesoft.com)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:38:30 +0000

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Ofcourse you realize that setting -m to 1 or worse, 0, will result
> in a badly fragmented disk when it fills up and really bad performance.
>
> The reason that 5% of disk space is reserved is to always have some
> room left. The ext2 allocation algorithm needs this to prevent fragmentation.

I think the main reason is to let the sysadmin to fix the system in case
of problem and to prevent users from filling all the free space. A lot
of utilities need free space for temporary files. How do you edit a conf
file if there is no room ?

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
			         	 --Thierry