Re: AMIGA will use Linux, but Linux has several

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 12:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Mike Harrelson wrote:

> They may be harder to debug, but that doesn't mean we should just throw them
> out.

Throwing them out will be pointless, but overuse of threads is harmful.
The fact that in certain other OS nothing can be accomplished efficiently
without them is irrelevant.

> Threads can and do make many applications much easier to design and
> implement without having to go to a slower process/fork()

It's noticeably slower only if processes are constantly created -- but
the same applies to threads. Unix has more advanced interprocess
communication than ones in other systems precisely because it does not
rely on threaded programming.

> model or a more
> complicated model using nonblocking I/O with select()/poll().

Where poll()/select() is applicable it's very efficient, and in most of
cases easy to use unless the concept is completely foreign to the
programmer.

--
Alex

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie! -- Anonymous Coward