Re: Bugreport for crosscompiling

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:41:18 +0200

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 02:15:50PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Torsten> Dear Kernel-Developers, i'd like to report some bugs. The
> Torsten> following bugs _ONLY_ appear when i try to crosscompile the
> Torsten> kernel.
>
> Torsten> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
>
> Torsten> Problems when i try to crosscompile the kernel for
> Torsten> arm-linux-aout and ppc-linux-elf.
>
> a.out? Last time I checked a.out kernel support was killed ages ago, I
> would be surprised if the ARM people still use it since it was finally
> killed when the exception handling went in in early 2.1.x (I think).
>
> Try compiling the kernel as ELF instead.

It's true that kernel 2.2 will only compile for the ARM as ELF.
However, you _must_ apply rmk's patches to make it work. They can be
found on ftp.arm.linux.org.uk in /pub/armlinux/kernel-sources/v2.2/
I'm not sure that such a patched kernel will then compile for other
architectures; it used not to but I haven't tried this in a while.

Note that you need a recent egcs too.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of