Re: smbfs lossage with NT file servers

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

apostle@pobox.com enscribed thusly:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 04:08:19PM -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> > In whatever the kernel distributed with redhat-6.0 is, (claims to be
> > 2.2.5-15) if I use smbmount to mount a filesystem from an NT server,
> > the date stamps are completely screwed up. I assume that this is
> > because the flavor of date stamps that NT uses don't happen to be
> > correctly supported by my kernel.

> > Is there a version of the kernel which actually does the right thing
> > here? If not, can anyone tell me where there's enough documentation
> > of the SMB protocol for me to fix the kernel myself? Or if NT isn't
> > adaquately documented (which would hardly be surprising), what's the
> > best way to reverse engineer the protocol?

> Yes, i have also experienced that same behavior with a debian system
> and a 2.2.5 kernel.
> I just read on the web where the linux SAMBA is just the fastest
> windows file server in the world.....
> It would be nice if that was true :))

> I want to determine if this is a kernel problem or not..
> Anyone else notice any problems like this ?

This is a well known problem. It's a configuration error in
compiling the kernel. The kernel was compiled with the Win95 Bug Workaround
enabled. To use smbfs with Windows 98, Windows NT, or Windows 2000, this
option MUST BE DISABLED. Several distros, including RedHat, have been
notified of the error and are correcting it in a future release. To fix
it, you must recompile your kernel with that option disabled. There is
no other workaround.

ITMT, Tridge (Andrew Tridgell of the Samba Team) has revampted smbfs
and smbmount to eliminate the compile time option entirely, replacing it
with run time detection of broken Windows 95 systems. Expect that in a
future kernel release sometime soon.

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com