Re: [RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on

Matthew Sayler (mpsayler@zen.as.utexas.edu)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:32:56 -0500

I remember back in '99 when Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Compressive paging
> > Before writing a page out to swap, compress it.
>
> Keeps coming back every once in a while. Has already been tried in a few
> cases, and it has some definite advantages in a few cases. But it also has
> some nasty difficulties. Sadly every experiment I know of ended up stopping
> as soon as some code worked and showed little improvement.

If you're interested in this sort if thing, you might try looking at

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/oops/compressed-caching/index.html

There is quite a bit of research material there (some of which was
presented at the most recent USENIX). I know that one of the
authors was planning to hammer out an implementation for Linux
this summer.

Matt

--
/* Matt Sayler -- mpsayler@zen.as.utexas.edu -- atwork?astronomy:cs