Re: AMIGA will use Linux, but Linux has several "multimedia-deficiencies"

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:02:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Bill Huey wrote:

> > An application program written with threads has to deal with most of the
> > issues that we have to suffer with kernel programming (synchronisation,
> > memory coherency, non deterministic behaviour, limited stack size, etc...)
> > Such programs are painfull to maintain, especially when you haven't
> > written it yourself. They are poorly portable and may encounter weird
> > performance problems depending on the plat-form (not only UNIX)
> > implementation of threads, if, by chance, you have been able to port it.
>
> The above leads me to think that you don't do much of this kind of
> programming using high quality well thought out libraries.

I care about maintainability (evolutions and corrections) and portability.
Modern applications are generally _large_ and it is not an option to
reimplement it completely in order to make it run under another O/S. Large
applications may live a long time and have to be maintained by people that
haven't been involved in the initial implementation and design.
Following colors that are in fashion is not the right way to deal with
the long term. Each time you go in the wrong direction, you will pay it
a lot.

Gérard.