Re: update_vm_cache?

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 01:20:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> So do not expect working FAT any time soon... And do not expect some replace
> for update_vm_cache as well: as Linus said it WILL be eventually implemented
> for 2.4 if some filesystems will be still broked then but it'll not be done
> for few weeks (or may be months)... Since most FS guru are not using FAT we,
> mere mortals, are forced to live without FAT support for next few weeks when
> using latest versions of 2.3.x :-/

One of the reasons why FAT is badly b0rken is the damn 'text mode'. I.e.
automagical translation of \r\n to \n and back. It is *wrong*. Not to
mention the fact that it screws up on binaries and relies on the list
of known extensions (barf) to do its magic. Or that renaming such files
changes their visible contents. Worse yet, open, rename, read, close,
open, read again and there you go - second read may return something
pretty different. IMO such thing has no place in the kernel...