Re: AMIGA will use Linux, but Linux has several "multimedia-deficiencies"

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
10 Jul 1999 20:40:15 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.9907101210020.10504-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
>
>> > Which doesn't mix well with timesharing.
>>
>> But IRIX seems to be monolithic and handles realtime content quite well.
>
>Erm... First of all, RT != microkernel. And IIRC IRIX runs on boxen with
>very smart periphs.

Irix also runs on boxes with fairly bog-standard periphs. Irix is
just better designed for realtime stuff.

____
david parsons \bi/ SGI Indy & smart periphs are not two things I'd
\/ associate with each other.