Re: smbfs lossage with NT file servers

apostle@pobox.com
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:01:08 -0700

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 04:08:19PM -0400, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> In whatever the kernel distributed with redhat-6.0 is, (claims to be
> 2.2.5-15) if I use smbmount to mount a filesystem from an NT server,
> the date stamps are completely screwed up. I assume that this is
> because the flavor of date stamps that NT uses don't happen to be
> correctly supported by my kernel.
>
> Is there a version of the kernel which actually does the right thing
> here? If not, can anyone tell me where there's enough documentation
> of the SMB protocol for me to fix the kernel myself? Or if NT isn't
> adaquately documented (which would hardly be surprising), what's the
> best way to reverse engineer the protocol?

Yes, i have also experienced that same behavior with a debian system
and a 2.2.5 kernel.
I just read on the web where the linux SAMBA is just the fastest
windows file server in the world.....
It would be nice if that was true :))

I want to determine if this is a kernel problem or not..
Anyone else notice any problems like this ?