Re: [Patch] Oops with serial module (was:RE: problem with automounter in 2.2.7)

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 14:59:13 +0100

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 02:36:01PM +0200, Bernhard Kaindl wrote:

> The Oops can happen on any system i can think of when one installs
> serial.o as module, later decides to compile it in and later somehow
> the module gets loaded. One calls rmmod serial and when sombody accesses
> the device, the Oops happens.
>
> The fact is that not a user process explicitely requests overloading the
> module, but kmod itself does it automatically e.g. when setserial is called.

In which case there's a bug in the code which calls kmod, surely? It shouldn't
try to search for a module to handle a device which is already registered.

--
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem."
        - Ashleigh Brilliant