Re: Linux and real time process control (Can't sleep less than 20ms)

David Schleef (ds@stm.lbl.gov)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:17:25 -0700

On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 01:25:27AM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:
> First, I spent nearly 10 years doing
> real time process control type things.
> We never used Unix because it lacked the ability
> to accurately control time-based events where
> you simply could NOT get things out of sequence or
> have two events execute at other than a correct
> time +/- some delta. Mostly I was not dealing
> with life and death... mostly.

Look at either POSIX real-time extensions (man
sched_setscheduler()), or if that is not good
enough, use RTLinux, a hard real-time extension
to Linux. (www.rtlinux.org) People routinely
report performance that can only be envied by other
OS's.

dave...