Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

Fri, 9 Jul 1999 20:08:24 +0200

willy tarreau wrote:
> > Though take a look at
> > arch/i386/kernel/proces.c:machine_restart()
> > -- out 0x64,0xfe does not work on some motherboards.
>
> Yes, I know this problem, but the triple fault didn't
> work at all in my case, and I don't know why.

A peek at the relevant doc on www.x86.org reveals that while triple
fault is a quick way to return to real mode on a 286, it isn't so
reliable on a 386..

> > (Strangely it _does_ work from DOS on the board I
> > tried).
>
> Linus' comment says it doesn't work on some MB. I
> believe at least on UMC480 or SiS461 chipsets it
> doesn't work, but I don't remember well on what
> MB I encountered problems a long time ago.

I wrote that code originally.. and I can confirm that (on my mb) in DOS
doing the out instruction rebooted, in Linux it did not. I've no idea
why. To be annoying, doing the out instruction followed by the
jump-to-bios code locked up the machine.

It was a 486 mb, I don't remember which one.

-- Jamie