Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

=?iso-8859-1?q?willy=20tarreau?= (wtarreau@yahoo.fr)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:27:55 +0200 (CEST)

--- Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> a écrit:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > it must be the case because these functions were
> designed exactly for
> > that use, ie. jumping from protected to real mode
> and execute a given
> > code to eventually switch back to protected mode.
> Normaly, only the
> > CPU reset line is activated by an out 0x64,0xfe,
> so nothing else
> > should be lost on the motherboard.
>
> Though take a look at
> arch/i386/kernel/proces.c:machine_restart()
> -- out 0x64,0xfe does not work on some motherboards.

Yes, I know this problem, but the triple fault didn't
work at all in my case, and I don't know why. The bios
doesn't branch to the pointer at 40:67. But as stated
before, the mail goal here is to try to catch a panic
in *most* situations; there always be some situations
in which it will not be possible. if some 486's can't
dump the message, that doesn't prevent them from
working perfectly the rest of the time.

> (Strangely it _does_ work from DOS on the board I
> tried).

Linus' comment says it doesn't work on some MB. I
believe at least on UMC480 or SiS461 chipsets it
doesn't work, but I don't remember well on what
MB I encountered problems a long time ago.

> -- Jamie

Willy