Re: NwFs 1.4.5 Source Code Available (FENRIS)

Jeff Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:28:28 -0600

Chris,

I have to tell you, when you are running a company, if you try to preempt
what folks under you are doing, then you run the risk of alienating them,
and pissing them off. Most competent and talented technical folks take it
as a direct affront if you try to "micro manage" what they are doing, or if
you try to order them to do something that is contrary to what they
recommend. This is management 101 of technical folks. managing engineers
is not like managing people who work on an assembly line -- you have to
cater to their needs and advice, or you run the risk of loosing them or
damaging their morale and self-esteem.

I have managed engineers now for about 10 years, and I always empower them
and get out of their way. Just becuase I'm the CEO doesn't mean that I'm
the king and I can bop people with my royal scepter. In the real world it
doesn't work this way, and I find that I am the one who works for my people
and not the other way around. Not all managers are like this, and I agree
there are some real tyrants out there, but these folks have a hard time
keeping talented engineers around. If I were an engineer, I would not
tolerate this. This was part of the reason I left Novell. Eric Schmidt
struck me as quite a tyrant when I first met him because of his attitude and
"I'm the CEO and you're a piece of dogsh_t" attitude towards engineers. I
understand that his demeanor has changed and he's grown up a lot since
taking over Novell, but because of his attitudes I and my entire team of 12
engineers left Novell to do our own thing. I think if Eric had it to do
over again, he would have taken the high road instead of the low road.
People are people, and we do learn from our mistakes.

Hope this helps you understand.

Jeff