Re: ANNOUNCE: 32-bit UID patch for Linux 2.0, 2.2

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:57:00 +0200

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 12:31:35AM -0400, Chris Wing wrote:
> Jordan:
>
> Thanks for writing back.
>
> > The quota code doesn't appear to be updated. I know this will break backwards
> > compatibility and the quota code in general needs to be redone, but it should be
> > done or at least be put on the to do list.
>
> I've already corresponded with Jan Kara <jack@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>,
> who has been working on the quota code, it turns out that quota works
> properly more or less without any changes-- one thing, though, is that due
> to the structure of the quota file, you can't set quotas for the full
> 32-bit UID range (it works only up to about 26 bits, or 64 million users).

Appart from the fact that the quota format is endian and wordsize dependent,
so you cannot take a disk with quotas, move it from Sparc to Intel and
expect things to work.
If it had at least some magic which would contain at least the endianess and
wordsize, quotaon could convert the file format from any format to any other
one, but now it has no way to guess it.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University