Re: script for compiling the kernel

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 03:52:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 pa3gcu@pa3gcu.ampr.org wrote:

>> At the moment if 'make zImage' fails you get a line like this:
>> If you get the message 'kernel to big' use 'bzImage' (option -b)
>> That should stop newcomers from bothering kernel people with this
>> question, I hope.
>> Maybe I get it working to autodetect this problem and do this
>> automatically.
>
>In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help some of the options have
>information on just how larger in size the kernel will be if the option is
>compiled into the kernel, this leads me to belive it could be possable to
>allow such a script to check the kernel size before compiling, or allowing
>the script to actualy choose which option is needed. One problem here would
>be that a list of sizes for every option would firstly need to be obtained.

Nope. Wouldn't work because some options are dependant on other
options, and that would change the size. Also, the kernel is
available on many architectures, and the byte size of code is
totally different on other architectures due to native word size,
alignment, and the fact that RISC, and VLIW machines use TONNES
of memory by keeping instruction length static.

It also depends on what compiler is used, and what options are
given to that compiler. The phase of the moon, and the square
root of the amount of disk space at NASA also have something to
do with it.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...