Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple streamnonsense)

Jens-Uwe Mager (jum@ra.han.de)
8 Jul 1999 23:50:07 GMT

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 23:33:00 GMT, Chris Adams <chris@improbable.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 16:59:41 -0400, Fred Reimer wrote:
>
>>He was talking about a GUI. You're talking about command line tools.
>>People who use command line tools are expected to know more and
>>understand computer concepts a little more than GUI users. That's why
>>everyone had been complaining about Linux being too hard to use until
>>the GNOME and KDE systems matured.
>
>I find this interesting in light of the review of the developer preview
>of Mac OS X at http://macosrumors.com/7-99.html which suggests that even
>Apple is moving away from forks or streams at the filesystem level:
>
>"Although by nature the native file system of Mac OS X -- UFS, the UNIX
>File System -- does not support resources, Apple has developed a
>relatively simple workaround for this by including a directory with the
>same
>name as the application but ending in three periods (...), which contains
>two files: .FInfo (Finder information) and .Rsrc (Resources). Currently,
>the
>"UFS Converter" utility included with DP1 allows this process to be
>completed automatically. By the time Developer Preview 2 is release,
>Apple hopes to have automated this process at the system level, allowing
>users to move Carbon applications between HFS and UFS disks without
>worry. Because this resource "wrapper" directory is invisible from the
>Finder and can only be seen from the UNIX command line (which itself will
>only be used by power users who choose the optional install), it is
>believed that this will be a satisfactory solution to the problem."

I believe that this is only a temporary measure - as far as I understand it
they are moving away from UFS as fast as they can. The filesystem supposed to
be that standard in MacOS X is HFS+, which supports resource forks as well as
file names consisting of up to 255 Unicode characters. I am already scared by
the interoperability problems this will produce, as 255 Unicodes encoded in
UTF-8 will not fit in normal Unix file name limits.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>