Re: KMSGDUMP: dump kernel messages to a diskette

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:38:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > > The only reasonable option, there seems to be 0x4 reset code which means
> > > "execute int 0x19". Unfortunately, when using this code BIOSes do not
> > > reset interrupt vectors and other stuff needed to boot-up so it would not
> > > work.
> > at the moment, I use the 0x9 code which makes the bios do some very little
> > hardware initialization and does a RETF from a stack passed by my program.
> Well, in that case you could use 0xa, which is handled by all i386 and
> newer BIOSes, AFAIK, and requires less messing. Neither are safe, anyway,
> because they require RAM contents to be valid which might not be the case.
> And executing from clobbered RAM mau cause further destruction -- e.g.
> some unwanted hard disk writes.

md5 the important parts of memory, and then checksum verification before
using them. quite simple, and 100% guarantees we don't use clobbered ram.

> Writing "to recover" I meant to start the boot loader, which might in
> turn dump the memory to swap, for example, just as it's done by OSes for
> non-ia32 platforms.

This is what I was thinking too. Can we load lilo, which in turn dumps
memory to swap partition?

-Dan