Re: Loop Devices over NFS don't work?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:50:02 +0100

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 08:44:37PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

[loopback device and bmap]

> > You could fall back to read/write in theory. There is an interesting project
> > for you 8)
>
> Really? Think about deadlocks. Both nbd and loop are _evil_. Mount
> sparse file over loopback, then write to both filessytems in heavy way
> to see why. THIS IS NOT EASY.

Time to embarrass myself once more on l-k ;) Intuition tells me that deadlocks
and races need to be thought about, but unfortunately I can't see what they
are.

How is writing to a filesystem on the loopbacked device simultaneously with
the hosting filesystem any different from writing to two files on the hosted
filesystem simultaneously?

Swapping, of course, is a different issue. Do we have any flags at the moment
which prevent people from trying to swap to inappropriate block devices (nbd,
certain raid levels with md, etc.)?

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
                -- Arthur Kasspe