Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream nonsense)

Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:29:31 +0200

Nathan Hand wrote:
> > Attempts to hide this in a GUI will always fail.
>
> Why? If the user never sees the kernel, only the GUI, then why
> is there any difference between implementing an abstraction in
> the GUI versus implementing it in the kernel?

1. Because the user, for one reason or another, has to use
the command line occasionally. These users will be even
more confused when the command line presents a different
filesystem to the GUI.

2. Because GUI apps often invoke command line apps to do the
work. If the GUI thinks there's a file somewhere, it will
expect the command line app it invokes to find the same thing.

3. Because users who prefer the command line want the same
features with the same ease of use, just no GUI.

BTW I'm arguing here that the GUI and command line should have
consistent views. Nothing to do with the kernel per se.

-- Jamie