Re: Resource forks and such

Jens-Uwe Mager (jum@ra.han.de)
8 Jul 1999 20:47:46 +0200

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:22:39 GMT, allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
<allbery@kf8nh.apk.net> wrote:
>On 6 Jul, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>+-----
>| I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but on OS/2 these 'albods' (called
>| EAs) were not used for compound documents but they were used to store
>| non-critical 'metadata' about files. With OS/2 you could give a different
>+--->8
>
>That's because IBM didn't like the way they were used in MacOS, so they
>restricted the amount of information storable in EAs (64K max IIRC ---
>that's total, not per EA).
>
>That said, the problem with storing the metadata with the file is that
>on a multiuser OS different people may want different associations,
>different icons, etc.for the same file. So it has to be stored per
>user, not per file. Also, how do you assign icons to files which are
>readable but not writeable by the current user? Windows, OS/2, etc.
>don't need to deal with this (well, NT could, but Microsoft took their
>usual "we'll decide what's best" route); Unix-like systems (including
>Linux) do.

I think not, the way document types work these should not be changed on a per
user basis. For example, if you would store a mime type with each document,
then a GIF image will get image/gif and as long as the file is not rewritten
to contain something else its meta data should definitely be the same.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager	<pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>