Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple streamnonsense)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
8 Jul 1999 10:26:16 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9907060957530.2179-100000@mothra.ilogic.com.au>,
Damien Miller <dmiller@ilogic.com.au> wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>

>> Fortunately I don't mind trolls. I don't think I have _ever_ seen
>> a compound document represented as a directory. I know that TeX
>> users do it sometimes, but they aren't normal users anyway.
>> Ask a random MBA, art student, or secretary what "TeX" is.
>> Normal users don't write Makefiles for their documents.
>
>Your random MBA, art student or secretary will be using an
>application or GUI which hides the fact that the albod is
>a directory.

"When I'm trying to copy my wonderful document, cp says something
about a directory and doesn't copy it."

"When I ftp my wonderful document, ftp says it's not a plain
file and doesn't copy it."

"Chapter core in my wonderful document vanished over the weekend."

>What part of that can't you understand?

Unless you intend to macify the user interface and force users
to wade through trackless swamps and climb the Himalayas[1] to
do anything other than sitting at the console, a "we'll hide it
in the GUI and the app" approach will fall off the edge of the
universe pretty quickly.

____
david parsons \bi/ [1: Unless you actually live by the Himalayas; in
\/ that case, you'll need to climb the Andes.]