[OT] Was: Re: linux headers and C++

Steven Roberts (strobert@ata-sd.com)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:39:36 -0700

Khimenko Victor wrote:
> Chip Salzenberg (chip@perlsupport.com) wrote:
> CS> According to Khimenko Victor:
> >> Egcs has MUCH better implementation of C++ but not [yet] ANSI C++
> >> compliant.
>
> CS> To my knowledge, EGCS implements the entire ANSI C++ language. (I may
> CS> be misinformed, of course.)
>
> EGCS implements all parts of ANSI C++ language (temlates, exceptions,
> namespaces, etc). But there are quite a few small places where it's not
> compliant (something like "char *p=!!!1;" : "char *p=1-1;" accepted without
> warnings, "char *p=~~~1;" will generate warning and "char *p=!!!1;" will
> generate error even if all three constructs are allowed by ANSI C++ :-)
> Small and [usually] easily fixable but still annoying...

I use egcs straight from egcs (1.1.2 had some fatal -- for me at least
-- bugs in template implementation) and am quite happy. It has better
C++ than the latest VC++ compiler from microsoft (6.0 with sp2). Of
course the sad thing is, that latest egcs is finally where borland 5.01
was years ago (this is based of the C++ code I see the compiler
handle/barf on). Too bad Borland sold out to the visual age of
programming (and then died becuase they then went head to head with
microsoft). So now it's egcs under linux and ming under win32 (FYI -
ming is the simple, lean and mean egcs for win32)

Which is a recent version of the ANSI C++ spec available anywhere? I
have a copy of the late '96 early '97 draft.

Steve