Re: masquerading seriously broken with 2.2.x???

Admin (admin@eregion.de)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:36:57 +0200

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:29:46 -0400 (EDT), Alec Smith wrote:

>I use masquerading under 2.2.x with no problems. I'm using Debian 2.1 and
>ipchains to set things up.
>> I just had to switch my gateway back to 2.0.36 after finding masquerading under 2.2.x extremely unreliable.
>> What I found was:
>> - ICMP packet loss up to 30% when pinging or doing traceroute
>> - UDP Masquerading goin' weird when src port = dst port or src port < 1024 (couldn't figure out which of these)
>> - 75% throughput with my ISDN line, lots of timeouts, dropped connections and the like

Well what kinda hosts do You have behind your gateway? I've a DNS, which does 53:UDP -> 53:UDP, which DID NOT work at all after the first disconnect of my ISDN card. I had to put a second
cache only DNs on my gateway to work around that...
And just to head off comments on me using a SuSE modified kernel which came with my 6.1, I tried every kernel from 2.2.5 to 2.2.10-ac2...

bye
Mathias