Re: albods

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 19:55:47 +1000

Jan Niehusmann writes:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 09:29:34AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > When creating the file, make it huge, but filled with holes.
> [...]
> > If you want to see the albod as atomic, just look at the file.
>
> What if you transfer such a file via ftp (or any non-compressing
> protocol that doesn't know about holes)? You will generate traffic
> for all the huge holes...

Good point. Some versions of cp handle holes, but you can't expect to
change the network protocols to handle them.

However, not all is lost. If you had an expanding filesystem (i.e. a
filesystem that could ask for more space from the block device
driver), then you could remove the need for holes.

Anyway, like I said, it wasn't my idea. I'm just passing it on ;-)

Regards,

Richard....