Re: script for compiling the kernel

Steffen Evers (tron@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:13:29 +0200

pa3gcu@pa3gcu.ampr.org wrote:

> > At the moment if 'make zImage' fails you get a line like this:
> > If you get the message 'kernel to big' use 'bzImage' (option -b)
> > That should stop newcomers from bothering kernel people with this
> > question, I hope.
> > Maybe I get it working to autodetect this problem and do this
> > automatically.
>
> In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help some of the options have
> information on just how larger in size the kernel will be if the option is
> compiled into the kernel, this leads me to belive it could be possable to
> allow such a script to check the kernel size before compiling, or allowing
> the script to actualy choose which option is needed. One problem here would
> be that a list of sizes for every option would firstly need to be obtained.
>
> Just my $0.02 worth.
> [...]

That would be an excellent way as it saves a lot of time for the person
who is running the script, but I think at the moment it's not possible.
Even if I could get the size of every feature (could this really be
exactly determined ?) for NOW, people tend to forget to update these
information and it would get inconsistent and useless very fast.
I wanted to do it this way: compile -> check for 'kernel to big' ->
recompile

The question is: which steps do I have to repeat: dep ? clean ?
I don't think so but is there anyone who could confirm this FOR SURE ?

By the way, I was thinking of a database or something that makes the
whole building process inclusive configuration a little bit easier. E.g.
storeing the name of the hardware component that this feature is for.
Like this many options could just be hidden and everything would be so
much easier. But it's a lot of work ... and I've got so little time ...

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Bye, Steffen