Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:42:21 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

[Alan sez: "kernel source tree is compound document"]
> > There isn't a well-defined and obvious way to print the
> > whole thing.
>
> find . -name "(*.[chS]|Makefile|*.dep....)" -exec lpr $* \;

Why the .dep files?
Why not the Documentation/ directory?

I guess these questions just about prove that Albert is right
in that there's no well-defined way to print the whole thing.

You have shown us a method of dumping the thing to the printer,
not a structure in which to order the thing for printing.

> Notice Im also able to finely tune the sections I print, which
> a compound single file document would make harder.

If the sections are fully independant, then almost by definition
it's not a compound document.

We're talking about compound documents here, leading us away
from the topic by asserting that you consider the kernel to
be a compound document is (IMHO) not proper netiquette.

OTOH, I do agree that people are getting used to having a
document consist of multiple files -- home pages have helped
user education in at least this aspect. Then again, why not
help the user by making compound documents available in both
ways?

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.