Re: script for compiling the kernel

Steffen Evers (tron@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 18:49:04 +0200

Frank Butter wrote:
> [...]
> ok - no point to argue. just do something like asking for the default
> parameters when starting the first time or place the values in variables
> where everybody can find it, who knows how to handle "vi"....
At the end using enviroment variables you have to use the vi or aanother
editor as well (e.g. for editing your .bashrc file). Alll option default
values are in variables at the beginning of the script and can be
changed easily.
But questions that have .mkkrlrc file as a result might be could idea.
Thanks for this one.

> > I would tend to be cautious about "I think" on something like that, as
> > some configuration changes WILL result in faulty compiles if that
> > "make clean" is omitted.
>
> but this is a bug and should be solved - right? there is another point:
> if you move from a UP-kernel to SMP (or vice versa) then a "make mrproper"
> is necessary! so you have to save the .config somewhere, make mrproper,
> execute something like make menuconfig (is there an non-interactive option
> to go without this to process .config???) and start again...
> [...]
If it is a bug or not: as long as these problems are not solved we have
to accept the current state.

Bye, Steffen