Linux cd eject bug

Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:05:47 +0300

From: Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:18:09 +0200
Subject: Re: ejecting a mounted CD (linux 2.2.10; vmware 1.02)

> On Sun, Jul 04 1999, Weasel wrote:
> > [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> > I could eject a mounted CD. The problem occurs iff vmware has been
> > run at least once.
>
> Take it up with the VMWare people first, then let me know they
> point the other direction.
>
> - --
> * Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
> * Linux CD-ROM Maintainer

I had a quite opposite problem with 2.2.10 (stock). I was playing an audio
cd with xmms, and after a while xmms hung. Xplaycd still play the cd as
would just pressing play on the cd drive, too. I could even extract data
with cdda2wav.

But the cd would not eject.

I looked at the listing fuser /dev/cdrom gave to me, it showed a few of
the xmms prosesses (it launches 4-5) were using the device. Nobody else.

So I kill -HUP'ed the xmms prosesses. I killed them. I even killall
-KILL'ed xmms as root dozens of times. One xmms process was still using
the device, and another xmms process was in zombie state. eject -f or
hitting the eject button on the drive anything I tried did not help.

So basicly I could not get the cd out without reboot.

I realise this report is of poor value as such, the situation is propably
impossible to reproduce for you, and possibly hard to produce for me, too.

However, I would like to know if there is something I could do to debug
this if it reoccurs.

The drive is a crappy Cyber Drive 24x with which I've had other
difficulties. While playing audio it sounds like it was crunching stones (
the audio signal -- although the drive itself sounds like that too. The
sound can sometimes be remedied by tapping and shaking the drive, which
would suggest a mechanism fault or something. This weird, because cdda2wav
usually rips quite well -- never these kind of noises.)

This time, though, I don't think it was the drives fault, since it happily
ejected the cd as soon as I rebooted the machine.

-- v --

v@iki.fi