Re: nice troll (was: All this resource-fork AKA multiple stream

Steve Underwood (steveu@netpage.com.hk)
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 01:01:28 +0000

"Albert D. Cahalan" wrote:

> Fortunately I don't mind trolls. I don't think I have _ever_ seen
> a compound document represented as a directory. I know that TeX
> users do it sometimes, but they aren't normal users anyway.
> Ask a random MBA, art student, or secretary what "TeX" is.
> Normal users don't write Makefiles for their documents.
>
> Every directory-based document system has failed for general use.
> Directories are containers or "folders", distinct from documents.
> Attempts to hide this in a GUI will always fail.

Ah, you've never seen it done, and every time you've seen it it has failed.
That seems to imply you've never seen it fail.

Try NextStep - they do it. It works. It has some kinks that should be
addressed in a fresh solution, but it works.

Steve