Re: Loop Devices over NFS don't work?

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:18:48 +0200

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 09:20:13AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am have been unable to get a loop device to work over NFS. My situation
> is a machine with no local storage that boots over ethernet and NFS mounts
> all of it's file systems. From there I tried to losetup /dev/loop0 using a
> backing file from the NFS mount. Everything works fine except the
> resulting file contains 8 meg of 0's. I am using kernel 2.2.10 with no
> patches.

That's right, the nfs filesystem does not support the bmap() method.
So loop devices will not work over NFS. I'm not sure that it's
possible to implement a bmap method for a network filesystem, to be
honest.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of